I always knew we could do it. One year together. Me and my husband that is. I’ll celebrate my one year anniversary with all of you too, but your gifts may not be this cool. Sorry. I love you but I can’t afford to buy you all gifts. Remember, it’s the thought that counts. And just for the record, I’m thinking up something real nice.
You may or may not be aware, but the gift for Year One is supposed to be comprised of paper. Yes, you heard that right. So while a normal human being might think of the obvious (lottery tickets/scratchers, tickets to a game/concert, plane tickets, gift certificates, or straight cash), this crazy cat lady went with the more “unique” (read: nerdy) gifts. That’s right! I made my husband a prized wedding scrapbook (more details to come on that one), and this “scrap map” of the USA. I mean, clearly, he would rather have these items than any of those more materialistic ones. I found myself a keeper.To make yourself (or your significant other…or your cat) one of these handy dandy maps, follow these easy instructions!
2. Cut out each state from one outline, and cut out the whole country from the other (as one piece).
3. Trace the individual states onto various pieces of scrapbook paper.
4. Glue the whole country onto a piece of decorative paper of your choice.
5. Adhere (I used photo stickers) each state to the top of its state in the one-piece country.
6. Print the tag, add some ribbon, and adhere to the side of your choice.
7. Add buttons to each state that you’ve already been together, and continue to add them as you go.
8. Frame your piece of art (I found a frame without glass, so I can add the buttons easier).
*TIP* Start from one end and work towards the other.I’m not naive enough to think my husband would rather have this than the tropical vacation tickets. But, he did love this map. I got lucky and found a frame at Goodwill that was perfect, and it will go in our “Nautical” themed room in the new house (read: new house = why I handmade his gifts).